2021-22 District 2 4-H
|Date:||Monday, September 8, 2022|
|Location:||Mallet Event Center (2320 S State Hwy 385) – Levelland|
|4-H Connect:||Opens: October 11 – Closes: October 22, 2021
Counties may set alternate registration deadlines. Please check with your County for their deadlines.
|Event Time:||See chart below. (Times are subject to change.)|
||2021-22 Food Challenge Contest – Letter|
|For More Information, Contact:||Ronda White, (325) 573-5423
Felice Acker, (806) 647-4115
|Intermediates II||Juniors I||Juniors II|
|In Parking Lot:||9:30 AM||10:30 AM||1:30 PM||3:30 PM|
|Check In:||9:45 AM||11:45 AM||1:45 PM||3:45 PM|
|Contest Begins:||10:15 AM||12:15 PM||2:15 PM||4:15 PM|
**Times are subject to change.
An additional heat for Juniors may be added after the last Junior heat if needed.
Results Announced: Awards will be announced Virtually with no in person awards ceremony.
Participants with disabilities: Any competitor who requires auxiliary aids, special accommodations, or has questions about the physical access provided must contact the County Office or Wendy Scott, (806) 746-6101 at least two weeks before the competition.
What is That? Food Challenge
– YouTube video released on 01/19/2021: https://youtu.be/2moHYSF0xrc
Training recorded from Food Challenge Teams Live on Tuesday, 01/26/2021: https://youtu.be/SYM44V80SPE
Contest and Study Resources:
Website for MyPlate Wheels (starts at the age of 9):
Pinterest Board “4-H Food and Nutrition Project”
For a complete list of resources see the Texas 4-H Food Challenge Website:
All of these resources can be found at:
- NEW Texas 4-H Food Challenge Rules and Guidelines 2021-22
- Altering Recipes for Good Health
- Food Safety Fact Sheet
- FightBAC – Fight Foodborne Bacteria Brochure
- Know Your Nutrients (Sr/Int will be given the entire packet – Jr will only receive charts)
- MyPlate Mini Poster
Additional Senior and Intermediate Resources:
- Senior – Food Challenge Worksheet (teaching tool; will not be provided at contest)
- Senior – NEW 2021-22 FC Preparation Scoresheet – Seniors
- Senior – NEW 2021-22 FC Presentation Scoresheet – Seniors
- Senior – NEW 2021-22 Sample Grocery Store Receipt – Senior – Updated 9.14.21
- Senior/Intermediate – NEW 2021-22 Supply Box List – Intermediates & Seniors
- Intermediate – NEW D-2 Food Challenge Score Sheet – Intermediates – Updated 1.26.21
- Intermediate – Food Challenge Worksheet (teaching tool; will not be provided at contest)
- Intermediate – NEW 2021-22 Food Challenge Helpful Hints – Intermediate
- Int/Jr – NEW 2021-22 Sample Receipt – Jr & Int – Updated 9.14.21
Senior Study Resources for Additional Presentation Questions
Following the 5-minute team presentation seniors will be asked 6 additional questions related to general nutrition, health, chronic disease prevention or other relevant to food and nutrition. Please use the following resources to prepare teams for these questions.
- MyPlate (one question specific to category in which a team is competing) – Resources located at: https://d24-h.tamu.edu/events/food-challenge/
- 10 Tips: Vary your protein
- 10 Tips: Focus on fruits
- 10 Tips: Add more vegetables to your day
- 10 Tips: Choosing whole grain foods
- 10 Tips: MyPlate snack tips for parents
- 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines For Americans (one question specific to category in which a team is competing) Nutrition and Health Across the Lifespan: The Guidelines and Key Recommendations – pages 3-50
- Know Your Nutrients (one nutrition question specific to category in which a team is competing)
- Preparation Principles and Functions of Ingredients (one question from each page)
- Food Safety (one question specific to category in which a team is competing)
Additional Junior Resources:
- Junior – NEW D-2 Food Challenge Score Sheet – Juniors – Updated 1.26.21
- Junior – Food Challenge Worksheet (teaching tool; will not be provided at contest)
- Junior – NEW 2021-22 Food Challenge Helpful Hints – Junior
- Junior – NEW 2021-22 Food Challenge Supply Box List – Junior
- Jr/Int – NEW 2021-22 Sample Receipt – Jr & Int
- MyPlate for 8–year old juniors: https://www.myplate.gov/myplate-plan
You will need to scroll the bottom of page, choose calorie level, then print (or see chart below).
|MyPlate Daily Checklist – Age 4-8 (updated)|
|1200 Calories||1400 Calories||1600 Calories|
|1800 Calories||2000 Calories|
Please also look at “Contest and Study Resources” shown above for resources that may be for all groups.
|4-H Year||Food Challenge